SPD X Velvicut® Hudson Bay Camp Axe
The Velvicut® is the premium series by Council Tool. An American axe and tool company in operation since 1886. The Hudson Bay pattern is believed to have originated in the Biscayan area of Northern Spain and was first used in North America as a trading piece along the fur trade routes. This Velvicut® took a traditional Hudson Bay pattern and added some length to the poll to improve the tool’s balance. After it is drop forged, the axe head is rough ground in a state-of-the-art robotic work cell. Then the hand work begins: an experienced artisan sharpens the cutting edge using increasingly fine abrasives and then finally with leather stropping. Relative to other patterns, the Hudson Bay has a very short eye length. This reduces the contact area between the head and handle, which can lead to looseness. Using a unique and innovative design, the eye is pierced with a special punch forming ribs horizontally and vertically inside the eye. This creates more contact area and bite between the head to handle joint and results in a stronger and more durable tool.
- Forged 5160 High Carbon Chromium Spring Steel
- Grade "A"American Hickory
- Cutting Edge: 4.125"
- Size: 17.5" x 6.875"
- Head Length: 6.875"
- 44 oz
- Bit is Heat Treated and Quenched Approximately 1″ inch from the Cutting Edge
- Tempered for Maximum Edge Holding and Toughness
- Final Hardness Rc 52-56.
- Lifetime Guarantee on Head
- Forged Axe Head is Hung Using a Softwood Wedge and Round Steel Wedge for Added Security
- Linseed Oiled Grade "A" American Hickory Handle
- Custom 2-tone Color Tipped Handle
- American Leather Cover with Belt Slit
- Council Head Stamp
- USA Head Stamp
- Velvicut® Handle Mark
- SPD Kraken Trident Etch on Head