Stratus Down Hoodie - Outpost Blue
Water is the "down killer". As any seasoned outdoors person knows, wet down renders it useless as an insulator. Down's amazing natural thermal properties is inherent in its ability to trap warm air. However water will normally collapse the tiny air trapping filaments of down clusters. PDW uses state-of-the art Dupont treated brand premium 800 fill power goose down, which is hydrophobic, and stays drier 27 times longer than untreated goose down. Never use down garments as rain garments. That's a tenderfoot or city slicker move. However with our Stratus Down Hoodie, along with the DWR finish 20D stretch nylon shell, the user has enough time to shrug off the first bit of rainfall and grab a waterproof shell to wear over.
PDW uses a unique stitch-less baffle construction which was created by a special mill that actually weaves two layers of fabric together only at the contact lines. We do not use welded baffles which only add extra weight, bulk and creates cold spots. Unlike any down mid-layer in this class, we use a brushed poly tricot hood liner for unrivaled comfort, additional warmth, and prevents that dreaded morning chill of cold-nylon-to-the-face every alpinist knows. The Stratus Down Hoodie stows into its own built in stuff-sack pocket and converts into a camp pillow. Additionally there is also a detachable stuff-sack that converts into a travel neck pillow. A total of 4 pockets, wire media pass through port in the chest pocket, and cinch bottom rounds out the many details.
RDS certified means, ethically harvested down and best practices used in animal welfare.
- 20D Stretch Nylon with C6 DWR
- Dupont Treated Water Resistant with Antimicrobial Silvadur™, RDS Certified 800 Fill Power Goose Down
- 90% / 10% Down / Feather Mix
- Brushed Poly Tricot
- #5 YKK 2-way Reverse Coil Nylon Main Zipper
- #3 YKK Reverse Coil Nylon Pocket Zippers
- Custom Nylon Hardware and Trims
- Regular Fit, Can Be Worn Over Base-Layers to Fleece and Sweaters
- S, M, L, XL, XXL
- Water Resistant Dupont Treated 800 Fill Power Goose Down with Antimicrobial Silvadur™
- RDS Certified Goose Down
- 4oz/113gm Fill Weight (Size Medium)
- Stretch, Water Resistant Shell
- Cozy Hood Liner
- 3 Exterior Pockets
- Integrated Microfiber Lined Camp Pillow Hand Pockets
- 1 Internal Zippered Stash Pocket
- 1 Additional Detachable Stuff-Sack/Travel Pillow
- Full Windflap
- Internally Routed Cinch Bottom Shock Cords
"...it's my favorite down hoodie of them all...."
- Piotr M., Carryology
"Their Tycho Down Hoodie was already great, but they outdid themselves. This [Stratus Down Hoodie] is KILLER."
I really want to love this jacket; I really do. It’s super warm and fits great, it has a great look, and is super light. However, there are three things about it that ultimately led to me returning it. And I’m a frequent PDW customer- and this jacket is the only thing I’ve ever returned.
1. The build quality and materials don’t inspire confidence. Unlike any other PDW product, this jacket had noticeable mistakes in its design and assembly: a few extra threads hanging on the end of the sleeve, some uneven stitches in the lining, etc. But the bigger problem was that it’s all single-stitched with no reinforcement anywhere. If you’re planning to be moving around in this jacket outdoors, you are going to break seams, and that leads to the second part.
2. Material selection is overwhelmingly lightweight to the point where durability is compromised. I wear my gear a lot, and I’m hard on my gear. I wear a heavy ruck pretty much everywhere, and I’m constantly moving around and carrying things. Even just trying this jacket on, I felt the material would never stand up to the abrasion of a backpack or having my dog run into me or running through a forest and getting snagged on a branch. The materials are so light I have no confidence in them.
3. This jacket is made in China. Enough said.